I am marking things off my bucket list that I didn’t know where on it! The world is an incredible and amazing place, and I wonder anew at how great and smart God is to think of all these things and places! Today we flew early from Honolulu to Hilo on Big Island (Hawai’i) and then drove through Hilo to look at Rainbow Falls. It was a beautiful waterfall, but no rainbow today - we actually started out the day with sunshine in a place that gets over 100 inches of rain in a year. Then we rode the bus to Volcanoes National Park, and I got more stamps for my Passport book (and Phil’s). The bucket list was actually seeing a volcano, and seeing one that is active. Kilauea has been active since 1983, so we saw lots of smoke and way off in the distance some fire. This was a huge area and we were able to look down in the crater. We saw steam vents over the land, and miles of volcanic rock fields where not much grows. We got glimpses of Mauna Loa, a huge volcano. The really incredible check off my bucket list was the black sand beach. Although not exactly sand, more like tiny pebbles, it was definitely black, but the most cool things was getting to climb around on the volcanic rock (mostly smooth with pits and holes) and take pictures of the surf crashing into the rocks and on the beach. I was in photography heaven. We were getting some drizzly rain by then, and overcast clouds so the pictures are a study in monochromatic greys and blacks. I know one of them will make it on my wall! I could have stayed there the rest of the day, but we still had 1.5 hrs to the motel. This was a really long day, and we didn’t get to the motel until after dark, so I’ll report more about it tomorrow when I can see.



No comments:
Post a Comment