Tuesday, February 25, 2025

Day 2 - February 25, 2025, London

Today is Claudia’s birthday, and we began it worn out from not sleeping much on the plane. Going through Heathrow Airport Customs was a breeze, and we only had to wait awhile for baggage claim. We got on the Underground and rode for an hour with many stops to get to our motel, which is FABULOUS. Claudia and I got an apartment with the cutest little kitchen, and Lee and G’s room opens into ours, so it’s like a big apartment. And we get to keep it all week! Since I neglected to get Greta’s coat out of the car at the airport, we went shopping for a coat first, and then to a bakery for Claudia’s birthday “cake,” an orange syrup cake and the gal at the Greek Bakery put a candle on it, but no fire. We still sang to her! Then we hit the grocery store to stock up on food we could eat for breakfast, and snacks, as our cute little kitchen has a nice-sized frig and microwave, and toaster! English muffins, crumpets, and dairy-free cream cheese here we come! Maybe I can find a dairy-free clotted cream later so I can taste that. We met L in the tube station at Charing Cross; the girls went to Harrod’s and Lee and I went to evensong service at Winchester Cathedral, so I got to see the evening sun on Big Ben, hear an angelic choir sing anthems during the service and a piece based on Numbers 6:245-26 by John Rutter. Thought I would melt in my chair. Loved this so much! We met the girls after at a pizza place outside of Harrod’s and I had a garlic bread (shared with L). Then Lee got Claudia a Uber back to the motel, and the rest of us went to a play called, “The Play that Goes Wrong.” I think we all laughed ourselves sick. Then back to the motel, and now our L is on her way back to her dorm. I officially love London.


Note: A cool thing we found out later (from L) was that at last night’s show we were sitting less than 20 feet away from the King and Queen! Ooooh la la!



No comments: