Monday, July 12, 2021

Salt Rising Bread

 In an old recipe book I had:

  • The night before, in a quart jar, add:
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 2 med potatoes sliced thin
  • 3 Tb white corn meal
  • 3 Tb sugar
  • Pinch of soda

cover jar and set in warm place all night. Next morning a foam should have risen on the liquid and an odor can be noticed. Pour into a large bowl. Scald one pint of sweet milk and allow it to cool to lukewarm. Add to the bowl with 3 Tb sugar and one pinch soda. Add enough flour to consistency of paste. This is the sponge. Let rise to double about an hour. Now add shortening about the size of an egg, sprinkle salt over this about one tsp, and add flour to knead. Pour out on table and knead as you would other light breads. Place in loaf pans (well-greased). Bake 375 for 15 minutes and then 350 for 45 to 50 minutes in all.

I don’t know about this. I might research other recipes before trying.

No comments: