Monday, July 21, 2014

Our Virgin Adventure - Day 20

One more day!!
Breakfast: Three Bears for Gary, Shake for me
Lunch: Hummus and Zucchini Chips, tuna fish, avocado, cherries.
Dinner: Stewed chicken with carrots, Mexican Rice, Peaches

We have felt SO Full today. Gary is down 16 pounds in 19 days - not hardly a pound a day, but pretty close.

Getting ready to make Salad in a jar.
Voila'
Lunch. That's an almond milk latte with this morning's leftover coffee behind the plate.
Supper was pretty awful. Too much orange! Good thing we weren't really all that hungry.
Worked hard trying to put everything in the pantry into glass jars. I WILL foile that mousie who chewed open the rice flour bag!
Gary walked this morning, went to work for awhile, then came home and mowed. I can't help but think he has more energy nowadays. I cleaned the house and straightened the pantry while he was gone, and while I made a slow start this morning, I wasn't as tired today as I was yesterday. 
-->
Salad in a jar
Layering Salad Jars:
1) BOTTOM - dressing/liquid
2) Heavy ingredients that hold up well when submerged in dressing - beans, cucumbers, radishes, onion..
3) Heavy items that you may not want directly touching the dressing when stored.
4) Leafy greens/light ingredients that take up a lot of space - spinach, kale, chard, arugula..
5) A small amount of heavy accent items - nuts, seeds, dried fruit, croutons, accent spices
6) TOP - colorful ingredients to perk up your taste buds when you pop open the jar - fruit, edible flowers, herbs..

Other: grains and pasta are nice add ins. I like to put these on top of the plentiful salad so that it doesn't get soggy in the dressing but helps to weigh the greens down a bit so I can fit more yummy stuff in each jar.
#1 Green Garden
EVOO/Balsamic/Peppercorn spices dressing
diced persian cucumbers
diced tomato
arugula + baby spinach
raw pistachios
edible flowers
diced dried apricots

#2 Butter Bean Bliss
EVOO/Balsamic/Peppercorn spices dressing
sweet Maui onion, diced
butter beans
arugula + baby chard
raw walnuts
Cajun Spiced Quinoa
diced dried apricots

#3 Sunny Kale Kruncher
EVOO/Balsamic/Peppercorn spices dressing
radish, diced
sweet Maui onion, diced
walnuts
kale + shredded carrots + cabbage, chopped
seedless tangerine segments

#4 Quinoa Oasis
EVOO/Balsamic/Peppercorn spices dressing
red onion
Cajun Spiced Quinoa
kale + carrots
walnuts
edible flowers

No comments: