Today began with an early and all day long bus ride on the Road to Hana, which stretches from the west side of Maui to the East, and ended with seeing the spume of whales out in the water as we drove back. In between was just beauty upon more beauty. We saw some huge rainbow eucalyptus trees, many beautiful waterfalls, gorgeous and strange flowers, lots of pounding surf in several places, lava tubes (I went in one) and blow-holes (I got drenched by one of those). It rained on us in the rain forest, and on the other side of the island, the sun shone brilliantly. We saw nesting Hawaiian green turtles, and a couple of mongoose. And of course, the ubiquitous chickens. The tour guide who drove our bus was a clone of Joey - looked like him, talked like him - made me think of him all day! Claudia and I ate at the beachfront Monkeypod Restaurant late tonight, and I had saimin (sigh-min) for the first time. It’s a Hawaiian ramen soup that is so popular, it is even on the menu at Mcdonalds. I loved it and now I have to see if I can fix it when I get home.






No comments:
Post a Comment