Monday, December 09, 2013

Because of Winn Dixie

Jackie Bassett put a spin on her booktalk, having Winn-Dixie doing the speaking!

DiCamillo, K. (2009).  Because of Winn Dixie.  Somerville, MA:  Candlewick Press.

India Opal Buloni is my best friend.  Yep, you heard me right; her last name is Buloni, which is also one of my favorite things.  She and I became best friends when she rescued me from being locked up by the manager of the local Winn-Dixie.  I was causing a little ruckus and the manager wasn’t real happy about it.  As I rounded the corner and skidded in front of Opal, I know she thought I was big and ugly too, but when I grinned at her, she couldn’t resist and so she said I was with her.  Opal and I had our work cut out for us, convincing her father to let me stay at their place.  Her father, the preacher, well, he doesn’t take kindly to strangers.  Opal says he’s like a turtle.  Always pulling himself into his turtle shell.  He’s been like that since Opal’s mama left them when Opal was just a little thing.  The two things Opal wants most in the world is to know 10 things about her mama and to make friends.   What Opal didn’t realize when she brought me home, was that I have a way with people;  a way of bringing out the best in people and causing people to open right up and want to be friends.   Imagine Opal’s surprise when I help her become friends with the local librarian who’s sure she’s seen a bear, prune-faced Amanda, a witch that lives at the end of the lane and some bald-headed bullies.  Want to know what happens?  Then read the story Because of Winn-Dixie.  Oh, by the way, I forgot to introduce myself, my name is Winn-Dixie and I happen to be a dog, and Opal’s best friend. 

No comments: