I know I already have a reflection about this book, but Brianna Paskitti did such a good job with this and raised some pretty awesome big questions. Worth a read!
Flake, S. (1998). The skin I’m in. New York: Jump at the Sun / Hyperion Paperbacks
for Children.
Category: Chapter Realistic Fiction Chapter Book (multi-cultural)
Recommended Age: Interest Level 7-12 grades (reading level 9.1)
Plot Synopsis:
In this Coretta King Award winning book, Maleeka Madison is a brilliant
student who feels out of place at school. On top of her smarts, she
had deep ebony skin that is a cause for ridicule from peers and make
Maleeka feel like a “freak”. She is often bullied. Her father had the
same skin tone and Maleeka had found worth and kinship in this shared
trait with her father. However, since his unexpected death three years
ago, Maleeka has felt adrift in the world and ugly in her own skin. Her
mother fell apart at the death of her father, and Maleeka has played
mother to her own mom during the grieving.
In 7th
grade, Maleeka has set out to make a new life for herself- hang our
with the cool girls (whom she does homework for), get wild new haircut
and play down her smarts. He plan to reinvent herself begins to work
until a new teacher, Mrs. Saunders, begins teaching English at the
middle school. Mrs. Saunders, who has prominent scar on her face, sees
the potential in Maleeka and invests in Maleeka. Maleeka has a
love/hate relationship with Mrs. Saunders. She sees the teacher as
standing in the way of her growing in the social scene, but she also
feels a sense of duty to live up to the type of work Ms. Saunders knows
Maleeka can do. Maleeka begins to seek solace through the creative
writing project Mrs. Saunders tasks her with. The relationship built
between teacher and student gives Maleeka the support she needs to be
comfortable and confident in the skin she is in. At the end of the
book, Maleeka has the confidence to tell the truth when her main bully
sets Ms. Saunders’ room on fire. She begins to be comfortable in her
skin and with her place in the world.
Why choose The Skin I’m In?
The theme
of identity and bullying runs throughout the book. In the current
school culture, this topic is so relevant. If I taught middle or high
school, I’d love to share this book with my students. I think many
adolescents would find refuge and someone they could relate to in the
character of Maleeka.
Flake’s writing style, word choice and organization makes it a quick read. She uses a lot of short sentences in rapid succession and chapters are about 4 or 5 pages. The pacing
makes it flows like a monologue and really gets into the mind of the
main character. Also, Flake uses urban and slang terms like a
middle-schooler. The characterization of Maleeka is beautiful!
Using this text in the classroom/potential lessons and BIG questions:
I
would use this text for students to make text-to-self connections to
deepen their comprehension. I would have students write about their own
identity and if they have had any similar relationships-either on the
bully end or the victim end. I would have them write about them own
self-perceptions and then how they think other perceive them. Comparing
and contrasting these list would be interesting.
Also,
I would encourage students to analyze some of the text from the book.
Specifically, I would have them analyze the monologue and then write
what they reveal about the main character.
Lastly,
I would have conversations regarding bullying and social action.
Perhaps there could be a school-wide campaign started and this book
could be the impetus.
Big questions:
- What does your face say to the world?
- What qualities do you project and how do you think others’ see you?
- How can perceptions lead to conflict among people?
- Is the face you project consistent with your internal self?
CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RL.5.2 Determine
a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including
how characters in a story or drama respond to challenges or how the
speaker in a poem reflects upon a topic; summarize the text.
No comments:
Post a Comment