Monday, March 11, 2013

Train to Somewhere

Train to Somewhere

Thanks to Shuree Clouse, for the High School Teacher perspective.

Bunting, E. (1996). Train to somewhere. New York: Clarion Books.


As I read through this book I felt mesmerized, or spellbound. I heard a very quite, solemn voice in my head as I went page by page. I haven’t read children’s books since I was a child, and though I was a fan of Reading Rainbow, I don’t have a memory of children’s books being so serious. And while this book is certainly very serious, I can see why it would be of comfort to a child because it does end happily without being silly or overly celebratory. Both the writing and the illustrations that accompany the story are written at such a level that they could easily be for adults, but it is their inherent simplicity that makes this more of a children’s book.
In this story a group of orphans travel west by train in the hopes of being adopted by new parents. They have all lived in orphanages or on the streets in New York City, and this is their opportunity for a new life. Everyone wants to be adopted, except for Marianne who is holding out hope that her real mother will be there at one of the stops, and that they will be reunited. Unfortunately Marianne never finds her mother in the story, but as the narrative resolves she is matched with a couple who seems to understand her pain, and they take her home to be their own child.
I found this to be a very beautiful story because the plot and resolution are simple, and there is nothing sweet about the characters or their situation. Though everything seems very solemn, it is realistic and I can see the tone “meeting” the needs of the children who read it.
Even the illustrations are simple, and though there isn’t a lot of detail, the composition of each piece perfectly matches the words on the page. I like the shading and the way the artist uses colors and light on each picture the most. Each picture feels like it is a complete painting.
I enjoyed this story, and would even like to read a more detailed and “grown up” version of it. I had no idea that there was such a thing as an Orphan Train, but as I think about history and the number of immigrants that came through New York in that time period, I can understand why there was a need for one. If I were teaching history, this would be a great book to include when talking about the industrial revolution and immigration.
When I think of incorporating this book into my own (English/Language Arts Secondary) classroom, I think it would make a great reflection piece for my students. So many of them have had to face hardships in their lives and they will share their stories with you quite matter of factly—which is similar to the narrator’s voice. I would like to read this story to them and have them respond to how they felt hearing it, or to encourage them to begin writing about their own experience. It may make for a good piece to add to my upcoming unit on the Odyssey. As this little girl travels, her life is changing. My students could reflect on both character's travels and how they change in their own personal narratives.
Reading this story made me think of my own personal experience and the one trip that I have made to New York.  I had the opportunity to go to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. I think sharing my personal details like this could be helpful to having students connect to the story and it would be fun to see them make their own “Train to Somewhere” poster or presentation as a performance assessment. I could even see this being something that we do at the beginning of the school year, and then once again at the end to see how they have changed over the course of it.
This was a very good first experience for becoming reacquainted with children’s literature. I am looking forward to getting into the next couple of picture books that we are going to read. As I wrote this reflection I came up with more ideas for how to use this story in my classroom than I anticipated, and so I hope to come up with more ways to use the next couple of books as well. 
As a complete aside, when looking for an illustration for this post, I found this website with a list of children's books broken down by common threads. I think it would be really useful to look into for incorporating more children's literature into the classroom, and so I'd like to post if here for future reference.
http://ww2.valdosta.edu/~ckplymel/reading.html

No comments: