My son, Lee, makes chili for a yearly chili cook-off with the Southeast Christian Church singing group, The Master's Men. Clearly the recipe is a winner!!
Lee says:
I don’t have a specific quantified recipe.
I start by cutting up a large onion and sautéing it in olive oil in the bottom of the pot.
Once the onions are at least softened, maybe browning some, I add some garlic and let that go for a couple minutes.
After
that I add in the previously browned ground beef (probably about 2.5
lbs pre-cooked weight of chuck per large onion), and let that go for a
few minutes.
Next I put in most of a small bottle of liquid smoke, doesn’t seem to matter much which kind.
Not long after that I put in a 1 oz. package of Bloemer's chili powder.
After that has time to set in, I add 3-4 cans of diced tomatoes and 3-4 cans of black beans without draining.
![]() |
| Lee's creation on a baked potato. YUM!! |
As
all that cooks, I add a large quantity of salt to taste, variable
depending on whether the beans or tomatoes were low sodium or no-salt-added.
You can eat it pretty well immediately, but the longer it cooks, the better it tastes.
I’m
a bit on the fence, but some folks like it better when I drain the
tomatoes and beans, and replace that liquid with a bottle of hard cider.
It adds a bit of tangy flavor that I like sometimes but not always.
Another
critical aspect of the mean when I make it for home consumption is the
cook’s illustrated southern-style cornbread, which should be made to
exact specifications, except that I make a double batch in a 10’’ pan.
There you go!


1 comment:
The best chili is always from scratch! Mine is always never the same, I am always tinkering with the recipe. Good on ya, Lee! If you go home with an empty pot, you are always a winner.
Post a Comment