Monday, May 02, 2016

My son, the chili champ!


My son, Lee, makes chili for a yearly chili cook-off with the Southeast Christian Church singing group, The Master's Men. Clearly the recipe is a winner!!

Lee says:
I don’t have a specific quantified recipe.

I start by cutting up a large onion and sautéing it in olive oil in the bottom of the pot.

Once the onions are at least softened, maybe browning some, I add some garlic and let that go for a couple minutes.

After that I add in the previously browned ground beef (probably about 2.5 lbs pre-cooked weight of chuck per large onion), and let that go for a few minutes.

Next I put in most of a small bottle of liquid smoke, doesn’t seem to matter much which kind.

Not long after that I put in a 1 oz. package of Bloemer's chili powder.

After that has time to set in, I add 3-4 cans of diced tomatoes and 3-4 cans of black beans without draining.

Lee's creation on a baked potato. YUM!!
Oh, and I usually also put in one small can of tomato paste.     

As all that cooks, I add a large quantity of salt to taste, variable depending on whether the beans or tomatoes were low sodium or no-salt-added.  

You can eat it pretty well immediately, but the longer it cooks, the better it tastes.

I’m a bit on the fence, but some folks like it better when I drain the tomatoes and beans, and replace that liquid with a bottle of hard cider.  It adds a bit of tangy flavor that I like sometimes but not always.

Another critical aspect of the mean when I make it for home consumption is the cook’s illustrated southern-style cornbread, which should be made to exact specifications, except that I make a double batch in a 10’’ pan. 

There you go!

1 comment:

Phillip Daulton said...

The best chili is always from scratch! Mine is always never the same, I am always tinkering with the recipe. Good on ya, Lee! If you go home with an empty pot, you are always a winner.