Monday, October 03, 2011

What My Mother Doesn't Know


What My Mother Doesn't Know (Simon Pulse)[ WHAT MY MOTHER DOESN'T KNOW (SIMON PULSE) ] by Sones, Sonya (Author) Feb-01-03[ Paperback ]

Sones, S. (2011). What my mother doesn't know. New York: Simon Pulse.

I cannot wait to read this banned book. I think it might be realistic fiction.

October 8, 2011 - OK, read it. And really enjoyed it. Sonya Sones has written this book in prose poetry, so it doesn't feel like you are reading poetry at all, except in the places she has used concrete poetry form. I'll have to go back and look at why this book was banned, as even the sexual content is pretty mild compared to what I've been reading in Sarah Dessesn's books. This protagonist, Sophie, is only 14 and just beginning to explore boys and her own sexuality, so perhaps the younger age is the issue. A big question here is, "Who am I?" and "How do I get loved?" Younger teens will identify with so many of the themes in this book - friendship, new relationships, getting along with parents, parents getting along with parents, and school classes that don't interest and those that do. I could see using one of the poems in a class and challenging students to write in a similar way - any content area would work.

No comments: