Thursday, February 13, 2014

Utterly Deadly Southern Pecan Pie


Tried this pie today with modifications and it was good. I halved the recipe for my small skillet, used monk fruit instead of white sugar, did not pack down the brown sugar, and made a gluten free crust. Not bad!

I LOVE this pie!
From: Southern Living OCTOBER 2011
Ingredients
1/2 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts (I use Sandy's Never-Fail Pie Crust )
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon*
1 1/2 cups pecan halves

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; sprinkle
piecrust with powdered sugar.
2. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until foamy; whisk in brown sugar and next 6
ingredients. Pour mixture into piecrust, and top with pecan halves.
3. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 300°, and bake 30
more minutes. Turn oven off, and let pie stand in oven, with door closed, 3
hours.
*Vanilla extract may be substituted.

Crust I used was half of this Mix In Pan Crust:
3/4 c gluten free flour
1/4 c coconut oil (I will use a little more next time)
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tb sugar
2Tb milk
Mix up in pan and pat it Down and up sides

Mixed this up again this Thanksgiving (2016) in my bigger skillet and it was a little dry. I think less time in the oven after it bakes, maybe.



No comments: