Tried this pie today with modifications and it was good. I halved the recipe for my small skillet, used monk fruit instead of white sugar, did not pack down the brown sugar, and made a gluten free crust. Not bad!
I LOVE this pie!
From: Southern Living OCTOBER 2011
Ingredients
1/2 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts (I use Sandy's Never-Fail Pie Crust )
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons bourbon*
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Fit piecrust into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet; sprinkle
piecrust with powdered sugar.
2. Whisk eggs in a large bowl until foamy; whisk in brown sugar and next 6
ingredients. Pour mixture into piecrust, and top with pecan halves.
3. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 300°, and bake 30
more minutes. Turn oven off, and let pie stand in oven, with door closed, 3
hours.
*Vanilla extract may be substituted.
Crust I used was half of this Mix In Pan Crust:
3/4 c gluten free flour
1/4 c coconut oil (I will use a little more next time)
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tb sugar
2Tb milk
Mix up in pan and pat it Down and up sides
Mixed this up again this Thanksgiving (2016) in my bigger skillet and it was a little dry. I think less time in the oven after it bakes, maybe.
To try soon from Sandy - this is the one we made Thanksgiving 2018 and it was really yummy.
1/2 c melted butter
2 eggs
1 c light brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
1 Tb flour
1 Tb milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 c chopped pecans
1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
1 Tb bourbon
Beat eggs til foamy and stir in butter. Stir in sugars and flour, mix well. Stir in milk, vanilla, and pecans. Pour into pie shell. Bake 400 for 10 min. Reduce to 350 for 30 to 40 min until center barely moves when pan is jiggled. Can shield with foil if it is getting too brown, for bake at 300 for a longer period.

No comments:
Post a Comment