Thursday, February 13, 2014

Mahogany Cake

This is the hands-down favorite cake in my growing-up years, and my boys and husband loved it too. I offer it to you in my precious Mom's handwriting as well as recipe. Make one of these TODAY!
Mahogany Cake with Minute Fudge Frosting
Oven 350 degrees.

Mix in order given.
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup Crisco (I use butter myself, still very good)
3 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sour milk

Mix all of the above and add: 
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla
Bake in greased (and floured) 9x13 inch pan about 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

Fudge Frosting
Mix and let boil:
1 square chocolate
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/2 stick butter
Let come to a boil and boil, stirring, for 1 minute. Add:
1 tsp vanilla

Beat, but do not over beat (this will be fairly runny. Spread on warm cake.

No comments: