Ingredients:
4 1/2 - cups sugar – I used 1 C Xylitol and 3 C sugar
1 - cup cornstarch
2 - teaspoons cinnamon – ( used 3 heaping tsp)
1/4 - teaspoon nutmeg ( I used 1 tsp)
1 - teaspoon salt
3 - tablespoons lemon juice
10 - cups of water (I used some apple juice I had squeezed)
6 pounds of tart apples, washed, peeled and thinly sliced
(I used what I got off the neighbor's tree - it was a GREAT apple year, 2013)
Directions:
In a large pot, blend together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Stir in the 10 cups of water and lemon juice with a wire whisk. Cook and stir until bubbly and thick; remove from heat.
While the filling is cooking peel and slice the apples. Add apples to a solution of 3 tablespoons of lemon juice to 1 quart of water to avoid discoloration while you peel all the apples.
Drain the fruit well before packing in jars. Pack apples into clean, hot canning jars leaving an inch from the top of the jar.
Fill with the hot syrup, leaving 1/2 inch space from the top of the jar. Remove air bubbles by running a knife around the insides of each jar. Close the jars with sterile lids and rims.
Process in a boiling water bath for 20 -30 minutes Use a jar tongs to remove the jars from water Place the jars on a dish towel to dry and allow the jars to cool for several hours. (I actually used my pressure cooker - 10 minutes on 10 lbs, I think.) This made beautiful jars.
To Make Apple Pie:
Pour 1 quart jar of home canned apple pie filling into an unbaked 8-9 inch pastry shell and dot with butter.
Place top crust, trim and crimp the crust around the edges and then cut slits to vent the steam. Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the filling is bubbling
Recipe Yields: 3 quart size jars and one pint size.
Mine made 7 full quarts but I had more apples.
No comments:
Post a Comment