Monday, June 11, 2012

Twilight Series

Meyer, S. (2005). Twilight. New York: Little, Brown, & Co.

Twilight StoreAs I gave in after recommendations from my students and read this imaginative series by Stephanie Meyers, I too was hooked - I read all 4 fat books this week. I now know more about Vampires and shape-shifters than I ever wanted to know, and am entranced with yet another pair of lovers in a touching, well-written romance. Will I check out the movies yet? Unclear. I would like to see what a movie does with the 4th novel.

Bella and Edward become friends with an immediate and strong bond in a small town (Forks - is that foreshadowing?) in Washington state. Bella is exceeding clumsy and Edward exceedingly graceful - and this is not the only difference - Edward is a vampire.

As I followed the story through Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn, I had a hard time putting down the books (I sure wish they weren't so heavy!). Meyer makes the unbelievable more believable by using current social customs, teen-age language (except for the vampires), and teen-age situations between parent, child, and friends.

One thing that made this story a little unbelieveable was Charlie. In his role as Bella's father AND as the town police chief, he was not at all like the cop-show cops. He didn't want to know what was going on, and he often worried more about Bella's friend, Jacob, than he did about Bella.

I am all about getting people to love reading. Would these books do that? I think they would, for teenage girls primarily who might not like to read anything else. I wonder how the male population has taken to these books?

No comments: