Tuesday, June 05, 2012

Dancing with the Indians

Thanks, Suzanne Bridwell, for a book that handles two cultures.

Medearis, A. (1992). Dancing with the Indians. New York: Scholastic.

“……… a compelling story of loyalty and joy.”
                                                            - School Library Journal
“…….. commendable work offers glimpses of a rarely explored chapter in the shared histories of two historically oppressed peoples.”
                                                            - Publishers Weekly
Based on the author's family history, this intercultural celebration recounts an African American family's participation in a Seminole Indian powwow in 1930s Oklahoma. Written in four-line verses this book offers glimpses into Native American culture and African American culture. The strongly colored paintings by illustrator Byrd depict flickering firelit dancers and the area's natural beauty. The faces of the dancers are often distorted and stiff. The line and color used in the illustrations of the dancers' faces add to the intensity of the emotion displayed in the dance moves.  

What I love about this multicultural picture storybook is there is a letter from the author at the end about her inspiration for this story. The African American author tells in her letter about her great grandfather who escaped from slavery. He was helped by the Seminoles to be protected from the white people. Her great grandfather was actually accepted as a member of their tribe to be protected. To honor the tribe her grandfather would travel with his family once a year to participate in a Seminole Pow Wow. The book is about that journey. How fantastic is it that this book combines two cultures? It shows how they can celebrate their heritage together.       
My text to self-connection was made on page 18.
“Warriors stamp and hollar, an angry cavalcade. I draw away form them a little bit afraid.” I can recall seeing a Native American dance at a festival as a child. I was a little bit scared of the costumes and the shouting. I now find it fascinating as an adult.   
I would show the above link to my students prior to reading this book to capture my audience.
They would then write about what they saw in the dance clip.

No comments: