Thanks, Richard Frazier for this review - I want to remember to get this one.
Siy, Alexandra. (2007). SNEEZE!. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
Siy, Alexandra. (2007). SNEEZE!. Watertown, MA: Charlesbridge.
SNEEZE! was a book that I found from our text's reading list in chapter 10. The book recommended SNEEZE! as a good example of a photo essay informational book.
When reading through chapter 10 I was immediately drawn to the title of
this book. Working with children that have disabilities forces you to
find books and stories that are catchy and attention grabbing. Once I
found the book and began to look through the illustrations I knew that
this story would be one my students would love. Add to the fact that it
features illustrations of people sneezing and you have a recipe for fun
with a group of first and second graders. The author's use of a simple
concept that we do almost on a daily basis provides an interesting
theme. Seriously, how often do you sneeze and then think about what
caused it, why it happened, how it happened, and all of the other
nuances that go along with blowing stuff from you mouth. I recently
used this book in a lesson and was surprised at how much my children
became involved in the story. They sought for the information; asking
questions about the 9 causes that the author addressed in the story. A
few of my students wanted to tell me about their sneezing experiences
and offered to reenact the event, mucus and all.
The colorful illustrations from Dennis Kunkel are highly detailed and
offer an exciting glimpse into everyday nasal irritants like pepper and
dust.
The style of Siy's work keeps the reader, in this case my first
graders, interested because she is hitting them with factual information
but doing so in a way that is fun and visually entertaining.
The age range for this book is between 10-12 years old. I used this
with my first grade SPED students by reading the story to them and
allowing them to see the words and illustrations over the SMART BOARD
document camera. My activity with them was simply to let them share
some sneezing experiences and then I asked them if they could think of
the cause. Was it dust? Was it pepper? Was it pollen? Was it their
little brother?

No comments:
Post a Comment