Monday, June 09, 2014

Beach House Biscuits

These are titled, Lightened Biscuits, in the magazine clipping that I have pasted on p. 125 of my hodgepodge yellow notebook cookbook. I've made them many times, but today I cut everything in half so we wouldn't have leftovers.

Oven 400 degrees, for 13 - 15 minutes (I baked for 20 minutes as I cut them out with a big glass)

2 cups flour (I use unbleached, unbromated)
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (I always use less)
1/4 C cold butter, cut into pieces
1.25 C buttermilk (I had milk, so put in a little vinegar)

1. Preheat oven. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl and cut in butter. Chill 10 minutes.
2. Add buttermilk and stir until just moistened. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface, knead lightly 3 or 4 times.
3. Pat dough to 1/2 inch thick, 9x5 inch rectangle. Dust top with flour. Fold dough over itself in three sections, and pat down again. Repeat.
4. Pat down to 3/4 inch and cut. Place on baking sheet (I greased mine) and bake.

No comments: